Welcome to my Blog... and thanks for reading...

First... welcome! And thanks for visiting my website!

I get lots of questions when people discover that I am a cookbook author, but the most common by far is, "How did you get into the business?" I think most people wonder solely because it sounds like a fun job. And, it can be. But, with two books under my belt (Houston Classic Desserts, Pelican 2010 and Houston Classic Mexican, Pelican 2011) I have to tell you - the 'how' is not so important as the 'why'. I got into the cookbook business because I have a sincere love for food, a great support system of friends, family and fellow 'foodies', a husband that's really good with a camera and... a bit of luck.

I hope this blog will serve as inspiration to those of you with a passion for beautiful and tasty food, cooking, dining out, kitchen gadgetry, kitchen goofs and the musings of a girl that's discovering new things about herself and her passions... one delicious recipe at a time.

Sunday, November 28, 2010




Turkey Bourgonion Meatballs






Traditionally made with ground beef, these turkey meatballs are a great low-fat alternative. This is an adaptation of a recipe I found in Neiman Marcus' Pure & Simple cookbook.
1 pound ground turkey - i used 97% extra lean
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs - i used panko
1/2 cup milk- i used almond milk
1/3 cup grated onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp seasoned salt - i used montreal steak seasoning
to taste salt & pepper
2 tbs oil
2 tbs flour - i used whole wheat
1 tbs chicken bouillon paste
2 cups boiling water
1 cup dry red wine

In a medium bowl, combine the meat, bread crumbs, milk, onion, garlic, seasoned salt and pepper to taste. Shape into medium-sized meatballs.
Heat oil in a skillet and brown the meatballs. Remove from skillet.
Add the flour to the skillet and blend with the oil. Dissolve bouillon paste in boiling water. Stirring constantly, gradually add to the flour mixture.
Next, add the wine and more salt and pepper, to taste. Continue to stir and cook until smooth. Add the meatballs, cover and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.

I caramelized some red onions and serrano chiles, then added a tablespoon of bacon marmalade (www.baconmarmalade.com) to the mix and it was very tasty!

The meatballs can be served over noodles or on their own. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment