Welcome to my Blog... and thanks for reading...

First... welcome! And thanks for visiting my website!

I get lots of questions when people discover that I am a cookbook author, but the most common by far is, "How did you get into the business?" I think most people wonder solely because it sounds like a fun job. And, it can be. But, with two books under my belt (Houston Classic Desserts, Pelican 2010 and Houston Classic Mexican, Pelican 2011) I have to tell you - the 'how' is not so important as the 'why'. I got into the cookbook business because I have a sincere love for food, a great support system of friends, family and fellow 'foodies', a husband that's really good with a camera and... a bit of luck.

I hope this blog will serve as inspiration to those of you with a passion for beautiful and tasty food, cooking, dining out, kitchen gadgetry, kitchen goofs and the musings of a girl that's discovering new things about herself and her passions... one delicious recipe at a time.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Love Your Leftovers

My husband Billy's favorite dinner menu from the Houston Classic Mexican Recipes cookbook is:
• Real Guacamole from Yelapa (pg. 11)
• Mango Jicama Salad from 1308 Cantina (pg.23)
• Chipotle Costillas - BBQ Pork Ribs from Lupe Tortilla (pg. 75)
• Mexican Rice from Teotihuacan (pg. 92)
• Borracho Beans from El Tiempo (pg.63)
Admittedly, it is a phenomenal menu and one that you could ONLY get at home if you were determined to eat it all together. (I suppose you could race from restaurant to restaurant for each course, but that would be one loooooong evening and you'd STILL have to make dessert.) When I've prepared this dinner in the past, I've almost always had leftover rice, beans and the kicky barbecue sauce that coats the amazing ribs. Should you find yourself in the same enviable predicament, try this recipe for just about the most 'blow-your-skirt-up good' barbecue baked beans... ever.













Houston Classic Mexican Leftover Barbecue Baked Beans

For each 4C measurement of El Tiempo's Borracho Beans, add 1C of the Chipotle BBQ Sauce from the Chipotle Costillas recipe and mix well. Pour into an appropriately sized casserole or baking dish. Sprinkle with 1T agave nectar and top with 3-5 strips of nitrite-free bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces. Bake at 350º for 30-45 minutes - until beans are bubbling and bacon has crisped. Serve alone, or over single servings of re-warmed Teotihuacan Mexican Rice.

This is a Mexican food trifecta that will make you the hero of your next cookout. There is almost no possibility, at least not in my house, that you will have any ribs leftover - but If you do - adding the shredded leftover pork rib meat to these beans makes them sinful.

No comments:

Post a Comment